Welcome to my blog...

Here's where you will find the latest on what's going on with my books and the movie. It's also a great place to ask questions, where I recommend other books, and post different things bouncing around in my head. Look me up on Facebook and if you want to buy, signed, discounted, copies of my books, head over to http://www.ryannwattersbooks.com/.







Saturday, August 29, 2009

I love the stories songs can tell...

And the lessons that can be learned. There is a trio of songs I was listening to today as I washed my cars (my wife's and mine... what a great husband!). Anyway... they all dealt with the same theme of how we view ourselves. While it's true that 'All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,' Romans 3:23, it's also true that Christ's attoning sacrifice has paid for our sin and that we are a new creature. God now looks at His Son in us.

Do you ever feel down? Do you ever hate something about yourself? It happens to the best of us and while the motivational speakers say to repeat positive things in your head, or the drill instructors and coaches say, "pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get going," (what are boot straps anyway?)... as Christians we can find solace in knowing the God loves us. How do we know? You know the verse... John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life."

I've reprinted the words and a music video of the songs I listened to below. They all speak to us not having to focus on the imperfections in our life. God doesn't save perfect people... He reaches out to those who are crippled like me.

NATASHA BEDINGFIELD'S "FRECKLES"



I used to care so much about what others think about
Almost didn’t have a thought of my own
The slightest remark would make me embark
On the journey of self doubt
But that was a while ago
This girl has got stronger
If I knew then what I know now
I would have told myself don’t worry any longer it's OK

[Chorus:]
'cause a face without freckles is like a sky without stars
Why waste a second not loving who you are
Those little imperfections make you beautiful, lovable, valuable,
They show your personality inside your heart
Reflecting who you are

Who you are
Who you are
Who you are

I wondered if I could trade my body with somebody else in magazines
With the whole world full at my feet
I phantom worthy and would blame my failures on the ugliness I could see
When the mirror looked at me
Sometimes I feel like the little girl who doesn’t belong in her own world
But I'm getting better
And I'm reminding myself

[Chorus]

Reflecting who you are
Reflecting who you are
Hmmm
Whoooooo whoa hmmmm oooooo

FUN CASUAL RENDITION OF "FREE TO BE ME"



At twenty years of age
I'm still looking for a dream
A war is already waged for my destiny
But You've already won the battle
And You've got great plans for me
Though I can't always see, 'cause...

I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple rips in my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But perfection is my enemy
And on my own I'm so clumsy
But on Your shoulders I can see
I'm free to be me

When I was just a girl
I thought I had it figured out
See my life will turn out right
And I'll make it here somehow
But things don't always come that easy
And sometimes I would doubt, 'cause...

And you're free to be you

Sometimes I believe
That I can do anything
Yet other times I think
I've got nothing good to bring

But You look at my heart and you tell me
That I've got all You seek
And it's easy to believe, even though...

And you're free to be you

GREAT MUSIC VIDEO BY JOHNNY DIAZ SINGING "MORE BEAUTIFUL YOU"



Little girl fourteen flipping through a magazine
Says she wants to look that way
But her hair isn’t straight her body isn’t fake
And she’s always felt overweight

Well little girl fourteen I wish that you could see
That beauty is within your heart
And you were made with such care your skin your body and your hair
Are perfect just the way they are

There could never be a more beautiful you
Don’t buy the lies disguises and hoops they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do
So there could never be a more beautiful you

Little girl twenty-one the things that you’ve already done
Anything to get ahead
And you say you’ve got a man but he’s got another plan
Only wants what you will do instead

[ Jonny Diaz Lyrics are found on www.songlyrics.com ]
Well little girl twenty-one you never thought that this would come
You starve yourself to play the part
But I can promise you there’s a man whose love is true
And he’ll treat you like the jewel you are

So turn around you’re not too far
To back away be who you are
To change your path go another way
It’s not too late you can be saved
If you feel depressed with past regrets
The shameful nights hope to forget
Can disappear they can all be washed away
By the one who’s strong can right your wrongs
Can rid your fears dry all your tears
And change the way you look at this big world
He will take your dark distorted view
And with His light He will show you truth
And again you’ll see through the eyes of a little girl

2 comments:

Mimi N said...

I've not heard the Natasha Bedingford song before. I have freckles so I'll have to listen to it. Johnny Diaz's song is so powerful! I love it. And of course, Francesca's song is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Mimi in MN

Eric Reinhold said...

Her song is the positive one for those with freckles, unlike the "short people" song of the 70s that put little people down :(

High School student, Jason Derfuss films a summary video of book 1